East Zion Plateau
Land north and south of Scenic Highway 9 from the east entrance of Zion National Park to Highway 89, covering a distance of 15 miles.
Population: About 100 full-time residents with a variety of part-time residents who staff the areas' lodging, dining and recreation companies.
Elevation: 6,000' - 6,500'
This East Zion Plateau is a vast forested area with wide-open spaces of private and public land on the eastern boundary of Utah's Zion National Park, which includes private land and a smattering of lodging, dining, and outdoor recreation services.
Lodging: Cabins, Lodges, Vacation Rentals, Glamping, Camping, RV Campgrounds.
Dining: There are currently three restaurants in this area; one at the east gate of the park, one at Zion Mountain Ranch, and one at Zion Ponderosa Ranch Resort.
Shopping: There are four gift shops on the plateau including one at the east entrance of Zion National Park, one at Zion Mountain Ranch, and two at Zion Ponderosa Ranch Resort.
Gas Stations / Convenience Stores: There is one gas station/convenience store at the east entrance of Zion National Park.
Grocery / Hardware Stores: The closest is in Orderville.
Things To Do
Guided, and unguided outdoor adventures are available at Zion Ponderosa Ranch Resort and at Zion Mountain Ranch, and are provided by these companies and by East Zion Adventures.
- Canyoneering / Rappelling Tours
- Horseback Riding
- Jeep Tours
- Slot Canyon Tours
- UTV/ATV Tours (Follow Along – You Drive)
- Mountain biking trails have been professionally developed at the corner of Scenic Byway 9 and the North Fork Road.
Hiking trails are found in various locations:
Zion National Park East Boundary trails include...
- East Rim Hiking Trail (distance __ miles – one way from east gate of park)
- Cable Mountain Hiking Trail (distance __ miles from Zion Ponderosa R.R. trailhead)
- Observation Point Hiking Trail (distance 6.35 miles round-trip from Zion Ponderosa R.R. Area trailhead)
- Deer Trap (12 miles round-trip from Zion Ponderosa R.R. Area trailhead)
- Checkboard Overlook (3 miles round-trip)
- Cave Canyon (1 mile round-trip)
- Other marked hiking trails are found at Zion Ponderosa Ranch Resort
9065 West, UT-9, Mt Carmel, UT 84755
Twin Knolls Rd, Orderville, UT 84758
4490 S State St, Orderville, UT 84758
4530 State St, Mt Carmel, UT 84755