Cedar Breaks National Monument
Depending on your starting point Cedar Breaks National Monument is located approximately one hour north of East Zion, in the Dixie National Forest, and is accessible during non-snow months by following Highway 89 to Highway 14 and then to Highway 148.
10,000' elevation along the rim viewpoints.
Cedar Breaks National Monument is similar to Bryce Canyon, and is sometimes referred to as the Circle of Painted Cliffs. The limestone hoodoo formations of Cedar Breaks were created by wind and water erosion and geologic uplift. The Claron formations, also known as The Pink Cliffs, display dozens of pink, red, orange, and purple hues. The surrounding Dixie National Forest provides an alpine backdrop of ponderosa pines, quaking aspens, and summer meadows filled with wildflowers. Visitors to Cedar Breaks National Monument enjoy sightseeing, hiking, biking, nature watching, and photography. With a high elevation Cedar Breaks National Monument has a cooler summer climate with average daytime temps around 65 degrees, and winter generally brings plenty of snow.
Cedar Breaks in Winter Months
Highway 148 is closed during winter, but visitors can ride snowmobiles to some scenic overlooks or snowshoe or cross-country ski along the rim.
How to best experience
- Ashdown Gorge
- Zion Overlook
- Navajo Lake
- Duck Creek Village
- Mammoth Cave
- Virgin River Rim
- Cascade Falls
This is a view from just south of Cedar Breaks over Zion National Park.
Planning Your Trip to Cedar Breaks
- Fees and Permit information can be found on the park website.
- Pets are permitted on paved areas of Cedar Breaks including parking lots and paved overlooks, as well as the Sunset Trail.
Nearest airports to Cedar breaks
Trying to decide which airport you should fly into to visit Cedar Breaks? Here are four options:
- MCCARRAN INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT in Las Vegas: The nearest major airport with direct flights from many foreign and domestic destinations. Three-hour drive to the park.
- ST. GEORGE REGIONAL AIRPORT: The closest airport to Zion with limited commercial flights. One-hour drive to the park.
- SALT LAKE CITY INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT: Major airport with direct flights from many foreign and domestic destinations. Three and a half hour drive to the park.
- CEDAR CITY REGIONAL AIRPORT: Flights from Salt Lake City are available. Forty minute drive to the park.
Nearby Guided activities
9065 West, UT-9, Mt Carmel, UT 84755
Twin Knolls Rd, Orderville, UT 84758
4490 S State St, Orderville, UT 84758
4530 State St, Mt Carmel, UT 84755